13 June 2010

Trisomy 18

Our precious girl was diagnosed with Trisomy 18 (T18) which is a rare genetic disorder also known as Edwards Syndrome. Babies with T18 have a third copy of chromosome 18 instead of the usual two copies. This abnormal DNA pattern effects every cell in the body which in turn effects all internal organs and systems. The nervous system, brain, physical features, heart, bones, digestive tract and kidneys can all be affected to some degree. This is why the condition is said to be "incompatible with life'. T18 severely effects a baby's ability to grow and develop, 90% develop serious heart defects. T18 occurs in approximately 3000-5000 babies. Most of these babies will sadly die before birth but for those who survive birth only 50% will live beyond a few days to a few weeks.

"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be."
Psalm 139:13-16

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved